Home > Personal Thoughts... > Reclaiming Semitism

Reclaiming Semitism

Semitic: Of or pertaining to a subdivision of Middle Eastern and North African languages: Amharic, Arabic, Aramaic, Syriac, Akkadian, Hebrew, Maltese, Tigrigna, Phoenician etc. Semitic comes from modern Latin Semita, via late Latin from Greek Sēm ‘Shem’, son of Noah in the Bible, from whom those people traditionally descended from. (as per historical facts)

Anti-Semitism: Hostility to or prejudice against Jews. (as per Oxford’s dictionary)

But wait a minute, with all respect to the Jews the “Semitic” title contains much more than just Jews..how about the Aramaic? Syriac? Maltese? And Arabs?…

Yes… those people too have been treated with a lot of prejudice and “hostility”…especially Arabs who have been discriminated against and persecuted by the so-called “Democracies of the world” including but not limited to the United States of America, United Kingdom, France and the so-called  Jewish state of Israel. How come no one is calling them Anti-Semitic? How come no law is protecting those Semites as well?

In fact, Western Jewish prejudice against Arabic Jews in that illegitimate state of Israel have been exacerbating over the years. This is showing the true colors of prejudice and hatred against Arabs in the “Western World” due to the simple fact that this Anti-Semitism is being fueled by Western academic institutions, media, PR, and by the power of guns.

Moving away from the Middle East and to the global arena were most individuals with an Arabic name(whether Muslim, Christian or Jewish) are ill-treated and seen as a threat to the state whether at airports, police stations or daily life.
Arabs, no matter how educated, cultured and well-groomed are still treated as second class citizens in many countries of the world. With prejudice and hostility fueled by the world’s media and governments for political reasons and financial revenues…this has become truly a weight on the Declaration of Human Rights and the principles and values that the UN and most world democracies uphold.

In this context, I ask everyone, especially Semites,  to ponder about “Anti-Semitism” and reclaim it one way or another. Demand that your governments, policy makers, media, businessmen and civil society in all its branches stand up to the challenge of putting things straight.

Let there be no more prejudice or hostility against anyone in this world. May we all treat each other with humanity…our differences matter but our humanity matters more!

Advertisements
  1. Naim El Rifai
    October 11, 2010 at 10:25 am

A good article! Unfortunately what we witness in the world is the rule of the strong on the weak more than racial discremination (not to undermine the fact that racism exists!); however, Jews are usually feared to be criticized due to their collective power and being mostly in key posts and controlling economies & media whereas other communities like Arabs or other minorities are not united to make the ability to lobby like our cousins.

2. Tommy
    October 11, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I actually suffered for the last 18 months, after migrating to Australia, from my Arabic name although I am Christian. I actually had to change my name to a western name so I got few interviews. In my first week at work I met a Lebanese/Australian born colleague who told me that her colleagues were mish-mashing about the new arabic/muslim guy that joined recently (which is me).

Although Australians are generally nice and tolerant towards immigrants, but they are like the rest of the western world brainwashed by media when it comes to Islam and Arabs, maybe due to the Israeli-Arabic conflict.

Antisemitism is a whole different issue and a much earlier issue. Its existence is due to the hatred towards the Jews living in the west and towards their remarkable success, controlling media, economies, banks, stock markets and main business/companies. In fact the Oxford dictionary example indicates how strong is this Jewish lobby that it links Antisemitism to Jews only and none of all the other branches of the semitic race.
    The strong hatred towards the Jews is not manifested publicly due to fear from consequences. Maybe we, Arabs, suffer twice with racism and antisemitism. we are an easy target for hatred and racism, fueled by the radical or violent acts of some of us.

3. Carl Freeman
    October 13, 2010 at 1:12 am

Your sentiments are admirable but terminology does not necessarily accord logically with changing times. The term “anti-Semitism” was devised by a nineteenth century German journalist to denote prejudice against Jews. There were no other Semitic minorities to speak of living in Germany at the time – hence the term’s limitation to Jews. Today, a term commonly used in Europe to refer to prejudice against Arabs or Islam is “Islamophobia”.

4. David
    October 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm

So true. Even in Israel, the land supposedly created to protect Semites from anti-Semitism, there is rampant anti-Semitism — directed against its own Palestinian population, the Mizrachim, some Sephardim, and Ethiopians. Ironically, Israel has actually become the most anti-Semitic country on the face of the earth.

Now, with fruitcake Islamophobes like Pamela Geller, Daniel Pipes, David Horowitz, and Geert Wilders running amok, real anti-Semitism is now closest to its literal meaning than the definition given to it in 1860 by the German-Jewish scholar Moritz Steinschneider.

It is time for it to be re-appropriated to its literal meaning.

5. October 28, 2010 at 12:24 am

This could have been a more interesting and thoughtful article had it been more balanced and not contained inflammatory remarks such as “Illegitimate state of Israel” and “power of guns” etc.

I think that you have a genuine point to make regarding the original definition of Semitism. But then you lose the reader when it becomes clear that you have a hidden agenda. That’s just my opinion, however.

• October 28, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Dear Kay,

I thank you dearly for your comment and I appreciate the remark you made. I know for a fact that what I am discussing concerning the origin of Semitism is a fact and thus I’m quite confident about that. Yet my point was not just to shed on something from the past, but rather giving it the current poli-sociological stance. I am talking about here and now…about things that you and I see everyday…whether first hand or on tv or through friends…we do see this kind discrimination, we do see this power of guns, we do see how Israel acts without any regard to international law, declaration of human rights and infact any kind of law except its own…

So..to me…and to millions out there who know well about what has been going on for years, yes we’re quite confident that Israel is an illegitimate state and that Semitism has been hijacked and misused.

I’m glad you atleast agree with what I said about Semitism..that is a good step forward I believe 🙂

6. April 27, 2014 at 1:39 am

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you so much, However I am having
    difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I
    can’t join it. Is there anybody else having the same RSS issues?

Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!